Sunday, March 9, 2014

NELSON READ THIS CAUSE.

You're dancing and she's giggling and my heart.
                                                                                   is.
                                                                         breaking.

I hope you cherish those videos. I hope you never delete them. I hope you show them at her wedding so she knows she was loved and you were there and you were real.

It reminds me of the video we have of my father tickling me into giggle fits and I live to be reminded how happy we had the world in our former lives. 


I'm scared I'm not really over it like I thought I was.


I've never had my heart break quite like it does watching you interact with her. An maybe that's because you once told me you were in your thirties. An he was in his thirties. And ever since that day I've been counting down your days.

She only gets you for a few more years.

An she's laughing on the couch with no idea that there won't always be another goodnight kiss. She's letting you film with no idea that she'll watch an re-watch and she'll do everything desperately trying to remember the laugh her mother will only tell her about and the inspiration colleagues will tell her about and the moment you smiled only because she was smiling.


I'm scared she won't remember.


I'm scared she'll say she does when she doesn't. I'm scared she'll feel like she has to tell a memory every time they go around the table even though the only thing she remembers is feeling loved, and feeling paid attention to and maybe when she gets older she'll wish she paid better attention to you. and she'll wish she hadn't naively misunderstood and she'll wish little kids weren't so selfish and that they knew to tell you to STOP.

 and she'll wish you were here.

I'm scared her memories will be contorted. That they'll be manufactured by the stories others tell and often times, she'll need pictures to remind her exactly what you look like.

I'm scared she won't remember, or even know, the scar under your nose that you hate enough to cover with facial hair.
I'm scared she won't ever plan her dream wedding because the daddy daughter dance is just too difficult.
I'm scared she'll get into trouble in high school because all those studies are true
  and she needs a dad to show her how boys should treat her right.
         And to kick the ass of anyone who doesn't.
                   And to wipe away the tears when she still hangs out with the asshole and He
Breaks.     Her.      Heart.

I'm scared she'll know your favorite cake because her mother will always make it for your birthday, but she won't know if you like pepperoni on your pizza. And some days, that will be the breaking point.
I'm scared she'll forever root for the Lakers because that was your dream team and she'll take so much crap about it that she'll wonder if you still support them but she won't give in to all the people asking her if she can name 5 players because she can't.

She just knows what you liked. And she wants you to keep living.


I'm terrified that the only thing she will remember about your funeral is feeling like she was supposed to cry and all the pretty flowers she got to make bouquets out of after everything was done. That she'll only remember how hot of a day it was and how much she hated her mother for making her wear a long sleeve navy dress. That tears will stain the memory and she won't be able to make out what the words say when she goes back to remember.

I'm scared your time is ticking and she'll have to grow up wishing someone taught her how to jump start a car.

So take a video today. and take a video tomorrow too. And tell her that you love her over and over.
and then film it.
Because the clock is running dry and the handwriting in her journal will never convey the way you high fived her after she got her first strike bowling or the time you sat on the couch watching her try to cartwheel for an hour because "no daddy one more time, I know I can do it."


I'm scared she'll take a sucker punch to the gut, and I'm scared you won't leave enough evidence for her to remember.



18 comments:

  1. This was heartbreaking to read. in a good way though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People almost comment about how they're reading a post and holding back tears cause they're in public or whatever. I'm not in public but I legit really am crying and this was the most beautiful thing I've read in a few weeks and I don't think this could have been done any better.

    The pepperonis and the lakers and the cartwheels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just kissed her goodnight like 8 minutes ago.

    Then I fought back tears. For you and for me and for Brooklyn.

    I thought I was just going to watch Netflix and laugh tonight. I guess not.

    This was simultaneously heartbreaking and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My word, absolutely beautiful. So real and so much emotion. The first post that I've almost cried.
    I guess that's a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will probably be a comment among many who don't understand.

    But this was so powerful.

    I mean, you are giving all these different people so many different emotions. Including me.

    This was so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is darling. and sad. and heartbreaking. and makes me want to cry. and i really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my heart is breaking over and over for you. This was beautiful and touching and sad. but amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read this too many times and I haven't read it enough. I'm so sorry. You capture everything in your words. Pain and love and truth and guilt and sadness and memories and living. But more than that. Not things that are just one word but everything. The truest emotions that any word I use wouldn't do them justice

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want so badly to hug you right now, because the things you say are beautiful and real and you're breaking my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't even know what I should say in this comment because its all been said. There will always be things we take for granted, I never thought pizza toppings could be one of them
    thank you/I am sorry/loved this/I cried/in a good way/I think

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so REAL. it isn't trying to be poetic about comparing death to something- I don't know if that makes sense, but that's why it's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the first post to make me cry...and cry alot. In some ways this hits home for me. "I've never had my heart break quite like it does watching you interact with her." words can not express how much I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was so good. And the way you used Brooklyn was amazing because those videos really are special. And we can all relate to that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just read this again by accident.

    I'm listening to The Moon Song by Karen O.

    And it's happening all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Currently trying to hold back tears. I can't imagine what you've had to go through. If it were me, I would stop functioning.

    ReplyDelete