Wednesday, April 2, 2014

SJY

A friend, always a friend when I needed one.
Sweet words and kind eyes and thoughtful conversation.
Someone who appreciated poetry and appreciated the travel.

A birthday present and the first open conversation I'd had in months.
You were always a hand to hold while I walked in darkness.
Doors have a way of continually swinging and my revolving doorways were losing their oxygen the longer I ran them, but you broke the window. You broke the window and then you broke the mirror and you told them to stop lying. And though you never said it in words you said it in your eyes and in your actions and in the way you treated me more than human.

You tried to take me to my first high school dance. I wasn't old enough, but I still cried because I felt wanted. I felt worth it. 

We haven't talked much lately, but we ran across each others typewriters recently and I've been thinking about the memories. The poems and the cookie dough and your sisters farewell. I've been thinking how my brother always liked you when he never liked my ex and I've been thinking how you make the sun shine on everyone, even when the sun feels like taking the afternoon off.

I don't know if this is thank you or if it's just a reminder that heaven has a place paved out for you to hang all the trophies your kindness is winning, but it's been on my mind all day and I don't think it's doing anyone any good boxed up as a memory.

6 comments:

  1. "Doors have a way of continually swinging and my revolving doorways were losing their oxygen the longer I ran them, but you broke the window."
    You made this post seem so effortless.
    The last paragraph is perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever this kid is, love him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. He seems darling! Also I loved the part about how he broke the mirror and told it to stop lying. So sweet and so needed for girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even when the sun feels like taking the afternoon off.

    I love this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredibly beautiful. I'm at a loss for words.

    ReplyDelete