Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Cause he's all I know how to write about.

The amount of times I gave you my heart on the end of a string and told you I'd be back by 11 at the latest is never ending.
 The days I laid out my clothes before bed hoping to impress anyone were too often. I still haven't enjoyed a rolo cookie since the time I came home crying from dance because I gave mine up because they told us not to eat caramel with our braces. I was the loser who had braces in the 4th grade. Nobody else got them until 8th.
Your eyes were always windows but I never learned how to adjust the blinds. I saw colors and magic but I never saw tears or tragic. My shoulders give me away every time, and if they didn't I'm sure my breathing would do the trick. You always changed me like a light switch.
I haven't been able to go to orange leaf since the day you decided looking at me wasn't worth the energy. I crave my favorite treat, but it's hard being alone in an ocean of happy memories. I crave my favorite treat, but you should never be seen as an object.

This is for all the times I didn't tell you I felt awkward holding your hand in the car. Or the first night you had me close and TigerLilly got pulled over. I miss laughing about our memories.

This is to you. and although I'll always love you, the grass is so much greener on the other side.

You said you'd love a picture, but I never got around to bringing one by. I guess the snapshots you took at the back of your mind will have to last as your reminder, if you want them to that is. I never liked the color green but you made it sound inviting. and even though you told me to pick I was never going to let your opinion slide. i took so many lefts I just wanted you to have one right.
To the summer days that we never actually spent together and all the mixed drinks we should have never touched. To lies about the canyon and lies about our hearts. To the CD in the car that you had almost learned the words to and the song on the piano you never really had to play.
Storybooks are for little girls. My mother told me flowers are for women. You brought me a book of pretty pictures but you never came near me with bouquets.

I thought a lot about you today.

9 comments:

  1. "I took so many lefts I just wanted you to have one right." Your writing. You. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're freaking brilliant. You write like a god and if you were a boy I'd totally date you. I guess that means I'd totally date Peter Mckeller. I can accept that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh stop hurting my heart (not really though)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too good.

    The last line. And the part about the grass being greener. Oh, and the left turns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh so much right. I agree with Alis. Let's date.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your eyes were always windows but I never learned how to adjust the blinds. I saw colors and magic but I never saw tears or tragic. My shoulders give me away every time, and if they didn't I'm sure my breathing would do the trick. You always changed me like a light switch.

    Really I liked the whole thing but this was especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was heartbreaking, but powerful. I read this twice, making sure I didn't miss any lines. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. The amount of heartbreak and nostalgia and patience is causing heartbreak right here in my body right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Your eyes were always windows but I never learned how to adjust the blinds."

    Why are you so brilliant?

    ReplyDelete